Sunday, September 5, 2010

Jason Allen @ Luckenbach Dancehall



Friday night I headed back over to Luckenbach. As much as I slammed it on the first visit, I've found myself now really loving it. It actually is a beautiful place when there's not a lot of tourist (like me) around. Plenty of locals go there almost daily. There was a small crowd on this night to see Jason. It is a beautiful, beautiful old wooden Dancehall built in the late 1800's. Jason's working on a new record and (maybe self indulgently) I hope he'll stay on the traditional side. He sure sang the hell outta "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" & he also did a great job making a shuffle out of a Stevie Wonder cover "I Just Called To Say I Love You" (on his myspace). I think his tone works really great with the Hank Sr. and older country stuff. Great dance music for a hall like this (though I still can't dance at least I can watch ;)). He's going to be working with a Nashville producer on this upcoming record. We'll see if that's a good thing or not. It'll probably be better sonically, but hopefully he'll record songs that sell beer and not try to cater to Nashville. Oh, and he also did a GREAT job and sang the shit outta a Jim Collins song called "It's Your World" (it's on his myspace, too). He's raising a family on the money he's making now without having to listen to someone tell him how to be an artist. He is out there being an artist! Maybe not getting rich quick but neither is a ton of people trying to do what he's doing in Nashville.



No comments:

Post a Comment